A full-time Pamlico-Tar RIVERKEEPER® monitors and protects the river and serves as a scientific and educational resource to all the people living in the watershed. A RIVERKEEPER® is part-time investigator, scientist, educator, lobbyist, advocate and public media spokesperson. However, the RIVERKEEPER® cannot do it alone, a force of volunteers provide the manpower necessary to adequately monitor and protect the waters of the Tar-Pamlico River.
Your Pamlico-Tar RIVERKEEPER®, Heather Jacobs Deck:
- Provides the scientific expertise to aid members’, the public’s, planners’ and lawmakers’ understanding of the complexity of the ecosystem.
- Responds to the public’s environmental concerns.
- Notifies agencies that enforce water quality regulations and monitors the responses to pollution events.
- Cooperates with civic organizations, schools, religious groups and others to restore and monitor our waterway.
- Educates the public in the watershed about how we can all help protect the river.